Friday 6 July 2012

What we chose - External Colours

Well I was told be careful of the colours on the internet and even those in brochures and it is TRUE.

P and I had narrowed down our choices to down to the seven shown in my June blog.  The one that was my favorite was actually very disappointing in reality particularly given the glaze was just on the surface and the sample that had been sent to my colour selector had a small chip out of it showing that any damage to the brick showed through the common red that was underneath.

Another couple of them had like a painted on glaze to mute their colour but the glaze looked like someone had spilt milk on them and it had dried and cracked so they were quickly eliminated too.  Two others were quite different in colour than they appeared on the internet.

Tip - Make ABSOLUTELY sure you see the brick choices in reality don't rely on just internet or brochure images.

I finally narrowed it down to two the Windorah and Outback Blend.  Both had the colour and colour variations baked into the brick rather than as a painted on glaze which I thought gave them a nice and stable look.  The Outback Blend was more redish than the Windorah.

The colour coordinater who worked with me was fantastic.  We sat on the floor with the two brick samples and a mass of colour samples of window frames, garage, colorbond and gutters.   The original muted greys and browns I originally thought I would go for just did not go with the bricks so I ended up going more with the browns and cremes.

After much tooing or froing and a phone call to P to see if he wanted the more redish Outback Blend or the more neutral Windorah - I settled on Windorah.

So in the end we ended up with:
  • Windorah for the bricks
  • Colorbond Paperbark for the roof
  • Colorbond Jasper for the gutters and fascia
  • Stone Beige Satin for the window frames
  • Jasper and Cargo White for the painted render and paneling.

And as per the advice above the colours on here are not quite right compared to the real thing.  The bricks are not as orange and the gutter and feature colours are more brown than green.  The roof is relatively close but the render colour showing is not quite so close and a little paler - but you get the idea.

Late Addition:  I have tried the scanner to see if that makes the colours anymore realistic so here is that version of the colours (You get the idea of what I mean about the colour variation - the ones above were from the internet these are closer to the samples I have):
Gutters & Fascia Jasper & Render Feature
Roof Paperbark & Windowframe colour


So on the house this is is where the colours are going to be:




No comments:

Post a Comment